Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Train Journey Part-I


I just finished reading “The three mistakes of my life”. I don’t know why I keep postponing things. I had the opportunity to read the book during my stay at Bangalore. But I gave a damn to it. Luckily, I got the moment when situations were all favorable for it. I had all the time in the world during my train journey. 48 hours of it... I couldn’t even pass my time by counting the number of minutes and seconds remaining, which I sometimes do.

Train journey is the one in which all the thoughts in the mind jostle with each other to sneak out. I didn’t have the option of verbal outlet, so I chose the mechanical one instead. The pen and the diary... The day had been pretty harsh on me. Even I had made three mistakes(OK not the ones of my life), but still. I missed the opportunity of meeting my best friend, just by the skin of my teeth. It was planned days ago. She had come up with the idea that when train will stop at Katpadi Junction, she’ll come to meet me. I had joked- “Does it sound normal that a girl will come to meet a boy at railway station. The vice versa part of it is more common. So, don’t go for changing the rules”. But she was adamant. Day before, I had quipped to my other friend-“Coincidences are hard to come by my way. This was my first mistake. Challenging God’s authority of making things happen. Who knew, God had selected both my comments for his “To Prove” list. A/c to our plan, I was to call her intermittently on my approx. four hour journey from Bangalore to Katpadi. And I was to signal the red alert when I come across “stations-with-weird-names”(which I obviously don’t remember). Anyways, with the groundwork properly laid off, the only part remaining was the execution (My God, I miserably fail in that, almost always!!!).

The train left Bangalore at 9:15 am. As instructed, I called her and gave the briefings. Everything was going on fine till at around 11 am, sleeping demon came to haunt me. I begged him. How important it is for me to meet my friend. Please leave me. The bastard smiled wickedly- “Last night you didn’t fall into my trap even once. Now, I can’t help”. I pleaded him. I promised him that after 2 pm I am totally yours. But the demon was without ears. He took me to upper berth. For precaution, I set my alarm at 12:05 pm (I still don’t know 12 o’ clock in noon is am or pm). This was the second and a fatal one. I woke up only to find my wrist watch showing 1 o’clock. My heart sank in. I felt as if I have missed the Katpadi junction. But then her call came- “Where are you?” I looked around and laughed stupidly at my own PJ. “In the train”. “He-he-he...Have you passed those “stations-with-weird-names”?? I was still feeling sleepy. So I babbled some names and told her not to worry. “I am very responsible person and will never do something to wash off my chances of meeting you”. Peep-peep-peep....Call disconnected. Light ra... I nudged my pillow and tried to sleep again. Someone was speaking- “What are you doing?? Are you dork?? You will never wake up again to catch her once you fall asleep”. So, defying all the rules of nature, I remained awake. At around 1:20 pm, I don’t know what and how it struck me. I called her and said- “Come to the station. It seems I have missed the “stations-with-weird-names”. She shrieked- “IDIOT!!!!” and ran (I pictured it from the intensity of her voice). She had told me that it takes around 20 minutes from her college to reach the station. In despair, I started counting the seconds and minutes. With 15 minutes and few seconds already swayed through my fingers, I realised that the train is slowing down. I smelled something fishy. I found the train is changing tracks. Station is close. I panicked and ran towards the gate. I called her. “Has it reached”?? was the first ammo from other side. I preferred silence. “C’mon tell me”. I mumbled-“In a minute or so.....” “No way!!! It’ll take me around 5 minutes from here”. “Run as fast as you can”. I offered my advice. “SHUT UP!!!” was the sound and gone. Now, I could clearly see the f***ing board at the station, displaying KATPADI JUNCTION in big, bold and beleaguered letters. Train stopped there for 2 minutes and then the platform started departing away. I didn’t know what to do. So, I started doing what I am best at. I dived into my own utopia where everything was perfect. I started by feeling the heroic urge inside me to go and pull the chain. Then I imagined her to be a superwoman who is coming flying towards me. Then I pictured the guard waving his red flag and whistling. Oh! It was my cell phone ringing and then I came back to my corporeal self. It was she. “Train is passing in front of my eyes”. Once again, I preferred silence. “Kuch bologe bhi ya bas....”. I didn’t know what to say. As I was most vulnerable to make a mistake now, I obliged the third one. I jokingly told- “Jump into guard’s coach na. These days trains are fully interconnected. You’ll reach B1 coach in a minute’s time”. In Hindi, this was like “aag me ghee”. In English, it’s raising someone’s hackles. Wrong timing perhaps. “This was it. Go to hell. You will remain an idiot.....”. I could hear no more other than peep-peep-peep. I saw the f***ing guard wavering his green flag, some morons waving at the train at the crossing and my heart sank in.

Although, these three mistakes affected me for 15 days only. I am great at persuading someone (I hope she doesn’t read this). But, I learnt my lesson.

3 comments:

  1. Ask her to read this and she i don think u will feel the need of persuassion.... Awesome, hilarious and better than the the latter part of THREE miSTAKES OF MY LIFE....

    ReplyDelete
  2. robu dear..after a long time, I came across something to read from you that that left me awestruck..you, very easily exceeded all standards that I ever set for even myself...you have come a long way...you are well in control..flow is outstanding..dil se likhne per aisa hi hota hai...Yuo know what, many times, I thought, and even was caught in some plots that pointed to similar outcomes..once with same character...but somehow everything ended normally....teri kahan padh ker... I felt jealous :) main us ladki ko bolne wala hun...ye blog padhne ke liye....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i very much enjoy all your posting kind, very helpful,
    don't give up and also keep penning simply because it just very well worth to read it,
    excited to browse through even more of your web content, kind regards!

    ReplyDelete